I love, Love, LOVE Soup—I love eating it and making it. This month we celebrate soups by beginning from the bottom up. Here are 9 reasons why soups are great!
10. Warming. On a cold, damp day—winter or early spring—nothing sounds better than a warm bowl of soup.
9. Filling. If you skip the cream- and cheese-based versions, soup provides satiety with fewer calories than other food dishes.
8. An easy way to get your veggies. If you struggle reaching your 2-1/2 cups of veggies a day, then soup is your answer. My mantra when I make soup is, “Just add kale or spinach.” I always top off my pot of soup with a handful of yummy chopped leafy greens.
7. Better with age. The flavor of soup is even better the next day. Need I say more but “great leftovers?” A bowl warmed for lunch is perfect!
6. Great for reducing food waste. Soups are a great way to get rid of leftovers. Add those veggies, cooked grains, beans, broth, and almost anything else you find in your refrigerator. Just throw it in the soup!
5. Forgiving. Soups are great for substitutions. Use broccoli instead of carrots, rice for noodles, vegetable broth for beef broth, cannellini for black beans—you get my point.
4. Versatile. There is a soup regardless of what you’re hankering for: a light, broth-based soup, hearty chili, creamy and smooth, chunky and rustic, bland for an unsettled stomach, spicy for a bold palette—soup fits the bill. It even works in summer months. Try them cold! The possibilities are endless.
3. Easy. The ultimate one-pot meal and it only requires the maker to have a cutting board, knife, and pot. Easy prep, easy clean up!
2. Inexpensive. Making soup stretches your food dollar. Expensive ingredients go a long way in soups and can feed a whole slew of people.
So…What’s the #1 reason soups are awesome? Check out Friday’s post!
Latest posts by Ken Davis (see all)
- Our Best Puns for Dairy Month? You Feta Believe It! - May 31, 2023
- Not Your Grandparents’ Co-op, Or Are We? - May 25, 2023
- Here’s How Memorial Day Became a Food Holiday - May 23, 2023