Mexican Shrimp Cocktail, known as Cóctel de Ca- marónes, is a little different from an American shrimp cocktail as it is like a salad in a glass, full of crunchy vegetables and shrimp in a spicy tomato citrus sauce. It’s just the right balance of sweet and tart, and it’s a great sauce for any seafood, such as scallops or crab.
Recipe serves 6.
• 1⁄2 medium white onion, finely diced
• 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1⁄2 cup ketchup
• 1⁄2 cup clam juice, or use shrimp cooking broth
• 2 to 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice (or to taste)
• 1 to 2 Tbs. Mexican hot sauce, or to taste, such as Cholula
• 1 cup diced English cucumber or peeled jicama (or 1⁄2 cup of each)
• 1 Roma tomato, diced
• 1 firm-ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
• 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Lime wedges, for serving
• Cilanro sprigs, for serving
• Saltines (for a very authentic touch) or tortilla chips, for serving
Place onion in a sieve and run under cold running water; drain.
Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add shrimp, turn off heat and let sit 1 minute or until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Drain and let shrimp cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
Combine ketchup, clam juice, lime juice and hot sauce.
In another bowl, fold cooled shrimp, diced onion, jicama, cucumber, tomato, avocado and cilantro. Pour dressing over shrimp and vegetable combination, toss to coat. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve in large, wide-rimmed (like martini or Margarita) glasses. Garnish with a lime wedge and cilantro sprigs.
To plan ahead: Cook shrimp, cool and refrigerate. Dice cucumber, jicama, tomato and onion and combine in a bowl and refrigerate. Combine sauce ingredients and refrigerate. When ready to serve, dice avocado, com- bine with remaining ingredients, portion into serving glasses, garnish and serve with chips or saltines to enjoy alongside.
~ From Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Latest posts by Ken Davis (see all)
- Our Best Puns for Dairy Month? You Feta Believe It! - May 31, 2023
- Not Your Grandparents’ Co-op, Or Are We? - May 25, 2023
- Here’s How Memorial Day Became a Food Holiday - May 23, 2023