Refuse what you don’t need.
The first step to reducing our waste is to prevent it from entering our lives in the first place.
- Refusing materials is the primary way to reduce impact on the local landfill.
- This isn’t an easy step. Like any habit, it just takes practice!
- Say “yes” to bulk purchases. Reuse coffee mugs and water bottles, and thank those restaurants who encourage this concept.
- It is so easy to say “yes” to free stuff, but ask yourself—are these things you really need, or is it just marketing material?
Simple daily things you can do:
- Bring a reusable container to the restaurant for leftovers.
- Keep reusable bags in your car for purchases.
- Bring along a water bottle and hot drink cup.
- Remove yourself from junk mail.
- If doing take-out, request no plasticware and straws.
- Turn down freebies from fairs, events, and meetings.
- Use your phone and snap a picture of a flyer that interests you instead of taking one.
- Sew a DIY cutlery wrap and use reusable straws when away from home.
Visit the Co-op’s houseware section for reusable straws, cutlery, cups, bottles, and containers for restaurant leftovers.
Join us next week as we take on Step 2 – Reduce!