Want something different? Try this basic play on traditional banana bread. Great for breakfast or with vanilla ice cream as a dessert.
• 2 cups unbleached King Arthur Special Flour
• 2/3 cup light brown or turbinado sugar
• 2 lg eggs
• ½ stick butter, melted and cooled
• ¼ cup oil
• 3/4 tsp. baking soda
• ¾ tsp baking powder
• 2 small overripe bananas
• 1 ½ cups roasted pumpkin
• ½ -3/4 cup rough chopped roasted walnuts
• ½ cup carob chips
• ½ tsp orange zest or 1 tbl orange juice
• 1 tbl coarse Turbinado sugar for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter and set aside. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda together. In a large bowl, mash bananas, pumpkin, and sugar together. Add eggs, butter, and oil, mix. Add flour till thoroughly blended. Add zest, nuts and carob. Spread evenly into a standard baking pan or an 8 1/2 x 11 prepared baking dish, and sprinkle generously with Turbinado sugar. Bake 35-40 minutes until middle is done.
This a basic play on traditional banana bread. I like the 8 1/2 x 11; you get a different texture. I eat this for breakfast, but you can serve it with vanilla ice cream as a dessert.